Part 2 - Advanced Wastewater Treatment Operations (5 days)
This qualification allows for the attainment of general competencies in water industry treatment specialising in wastewater and covers skills required to monitor, operate and control treatment processes within a wastewater treatment plant.
Who should attend?
- NSW local water utility and government agency sewage treatment works operators.
- NSW local water utility professional staff, engineers, scientist and managers.
The material covered in this course is essential for operators using chemical dosing systems and/or operating biological systems for the control of nitrogen and phosphorus.
- Basic chemistry.
- Chemical dosing systems (solution feed and dry feed systems) and chemical safety.
- Operation and control of activated sludge systems (continuous and intermittent processes).
- Nutrient removal systems.
- Tertiary treatment systems including disinfection and effluent filtration.
- Operation and control of solids handling and stabilisation treatment systems.
- Testing and sampling for operational control.
Course delivery and assessments
This has been developed to determine the competencies achieved by the operator. The course delivery activities include:
- A 5 day workshop including:
- Worksheets completed in tutorial sessions held during the course.
- Visit(s) to a treatment plant including practical sessions covering operational monitoring and testing.
- A written exam.
- An on-site assessment held at the operator's own treatment works.
NOTE: For the 2020 calendar year this course will not be offered as a Nationally Accredited course (i.e. not a Certificate III course). This is due to changes introduced in 2019 relating to third party agreements with registered training organisations. The DPIE course content will not change from 2019 and the courses remain a suitable qualification for LWU water treatment operators in regional NSW.
A certificate of Completion - Advanced Wastewater Treatment Operations will be issued to each successful candidate.
Course pre-requisites include successful completion of the Part 1 - Basic Wastewater Treatment Operations course.
What is included
Course notes, workplace visit to the operator's own treatment works and safety equipment (PPE) for workshop practical sessions. Morning and afternoon tea will be provided for the five day workshop.
What is not included
Writing material, calculator, accommodation, meals, transport to and from the course.
Information on course dates, locations and costs can be found in the Course Schedule.
How to nominate for the course
The department will send confirmation of receipt of your nomination via email within one week with instructions on enrolment if successful. Venue details, course notes, the program and a timetable will be sent to all participants approximately four weeks before the course. Please provide details of any special dietary needs on nomination.