Part 2 - Advanced Treatment (5 days)
The Wastewater Advanced Treatment course is one of two wastewater treatment courses run by the department.
On completion of the Part 1 and Part 2 courses you will have the knowledge and practical skills essential for the effective and efficient operation of broad range of treatment processes.
Who should attend?
Local water utility sewage treatment works operators, engineers and managers.
All operators of systems that include nutrient removal process and chemical dosing systems. The material covered in this course is essential for operators using chemical dosing systems and/or operating biological systems for the control of nitrogen and phosphorus.
- Basic chemistry
- Chemical dosing systems (solution feed and dry feed systems)
- Operation and control of activated sludge systems (continuous and intermittent processes).
- Microscopic techniques for trouble shooting
- Nutrient removal systems
- Testing and sampling for operational control.
This course has been developed in response to the increasing sophistication of sewage treatment systems and increasing treatment standards. It covers the technologies employed by local water utilities in NSW.
This has been developed to determine the competencies achieved by the operator. The assessment includes:
- Tutorial sessions held during the course
- Practical session held at a sewage treatment works, covering operational monitoring and testing
- A written exam covering both theory and mathematics
- An on-site assessment held at the operator's own treatment works
- Two project assignments to be submitted by the candidate.
A NSW TAFE Certificate III in Water Industry Treatment (Wastewater) with a list of competencies demonstrated will be issued to each successful candidate.
- Successful completion of the Part 1 – Wastewater Treatment Operations course
- Either of the two wastewater operator courses previously run by the department (1A – Trickling Filter and Oxidation Ponds or 1B – Activated Sludge and Aerated Lagoons).
It is recommended that operators review the manual and mathematics tutorial examples prior to attending the course. Course notes will be supplied for pre-course study and future reference.
What is included
Course notes and on-site examination at the operator's own treatment works. Morning and afternoon tea will be provided for the five day workshop.
What is not included
Writing material, calculator, safety equipment (PPE), accommodation, meals, transport to and from the course.
Information on course dates, locations and costs can be found in the training courses calendar
How to register
The department will send confirmation of receipt of your registration via email within one week. Venue details, course notes, the program and a timetable will be sent to all participants six weeks before the course. Please provide details of any special dietary needs on registration.