Liquid Trade Waste Regulation (5 days)
NSW local water utilities are required to implement an appropriate liquid trade waste policy; issue an approval under the Local Government Act 1993 for each liquid trade waste discharger to its sewerage system; and to implement best-practice sewerage and trade waste pricing. These requirements comprise the NSW Framework for Regulation of Sewerage and Trade Waste, which is set out in the Liquid Trade Waste Management Guidelines 2021 (PDF, 15374.2 KB).
This course allows for the attainment of general competencies in trade waste and covers the skills required in regulations of trade waste.
Who should attend?
Trade waste officers, environmental health officers, wastewater engineers, other officers involved with assessment, approvals and/or inspections of trade waste discharges.
- Legislation applicable to trade waste regulation.
- Development and implementation of a liquid trade waste policy.
- Trade waste pricing.
- Requirements for acceptance of trade waste discharges to the sewerage system.
- Approval and monitoring of trade waste discharges, enforcement of approval conditions.
- Pre-treatment requirements for various trade waste discharges.
- Physical, chemical and biological treatment of liquid trade waste.
- Auditing of trade waste dischargers.
- Investigation of trade waste incidents.
- Trade waste sampling and plumbing requirements.
Course delivery and assessments
The course delivery activities include:
- A 5-day workshop including:
- Worksheets completed in tutorial sessions held during the course.
- A written exam.
A Certificate of Completion – Liquid Trade Waste Regulation will be issued by the Department of Planning and Environment to successful candidates.
What is included?
Course notes, lunch, morning tea, afternoon tea and transport for the site visits will be provided for the five days.
What is not included?
Writing material, calculator, accommodation, other meals not specified, transport to and from the course.
Information on course dates, locations and costs can be found in the Course schedule.
How to nominate for the course
Complete an online form or download a nomination form (PDF, 368.35 KB) and submit it by email to email@example.com.
The department will send confirmation of receipt of your nomination via email within one week. Venue details, the program and a timetable will be sent to all participants approximately four weeks before the course. Please provide details of any special dietary needs on nomination.