The department offers a number of training courses to assist the regional NSW local water utilities with implementing the NSW BPM of Water Supply & Sewerage Framework ((PDF 23.9 KB))
The courses have been developed to meet the needs of LWUs in non-metropolitan NSW. The water and wastewater training courses relate to the LWUs’ water and sewage treatment works technologies.
The water and wastewater treatment courses are divided into two parts. Part 1 addresses basic treatment principles while Part 2 concentrates on advanced operations. Completion of both parts usually takes one to two years.
At the end of each part, LWU operators may be required to undertake a practical assessment at their own treatment works, overseen by a Water Treatment Officer (i.e. Inspector) from DPIE. This is one of the strengths of the DPIE courses as it allows operators to practice and demonstrate hands-on competency in their own work environment.
Operators are required to have relevant on-site experience and to have received some operational instruction at their own workplace prior to attending these courses.
For the 2020 calendar year the courses will not be offered as a Nationally Accredited course (i.e. no Certificate III or IV courses). This is due to changes introduced in 2019 relating to third party agreements with registered training organisations. The DPIE course content will not change from 2019 and the courses remain a suitable qualification for LWU water and sewerage operators or trade waste officers, as applicable, in regional NSW.
Courses on offer
Wastewater Treatment Operator
- Part 1 - Basic Wastewater Treatment Operations - (5 days)
- Part 2 - Advanced Wastewater Treatment Operations (5 days)
Water Treatment Operator
- Part 1 - Chemical Dosing Systems (5 days)
- Part 2 - Water Treatment Operations (5 days)
- Water Treatment Update Seminar (2 days)
- Assuring the Integrity of Water Supply Distribution Systems (2 days)
- Water Treatment for engineers (3 days)
Liquid Trade Water Regulation
- Liquid Trade Waste Regulation (5 days)
- Overview of Liquid Trade Waste Regulation (2 days)
- Trade Waste Regulation Update Seminar