The department offers training courses in water, wastewater and liquid trade waste regulation to assist local water utilities (LWU) in regional NSW.
The water and wastewater treatment courses are delivered in two separate parts. Part 1 is on basic treatment principles and Part 2 is on advanced treatment operations. The completion of both parts normally takes between one to two years.
For the candidates to complete each part of the course, their practical competency will be assessed at their treatment plant by a Department of Planning and Environment water treatment officer. This is a strength of the department courses which allows operators to gain hands-on experience to achieve practical competency.
A pre-requisite for prospective candidates to attend these courses is related on-site operating experience at their workplace.
The department has also scheduled to run the liquid trade waste regulation courses. Five-day course participants are required to have basic mathematic skills and a minimum of 6-months work experience on trade waste management.
The courses offered by the department do not lead to 'Nationally Accredited Certificates' as the department no longer has the auspices of an RTO to offer these courses. However, the contents of these courses remain similar to previous courses and are suitable for competency training of operators for water treatment plant operations and wastewater treatment plant operations, and liquid trade waste regulation officers.
Wastewater Treatment Operations
- Part 1 - Basic Wastewater Treatment Operations - (5 days)
- Part 2 - Advanced Wastewater Treatment Operations (5 days)
Water Treatment Operations
- Part 1 - Chemical Dosing Systems (5 days)
- Part 2 - Water Treatment Operations (5 days)
- Water Treatment Update Seminar (2 days)
- Assuring the Integrity of Water Supply Distribution Systems (2 days)
- Water Treatment for Engineers (3 days)
Liquid Trade Waste Regulation
- Overview of Liquid Trade Waste Regulation (2 days)
- Liquid Trade Waste Regulation (5 days)
- Liquid Trade Waste Update Seminar (2 days)