Encourage greater collaboration
This focus area intends to encourage greater collaboration between local water utilities in regional NSW by:
- Connecting utilities facing similar issues so they can share insights and learnings and facilitate knowledge capture across the sector providing clearer guidance on potential opportunities and incentives for utilities to explore regional collaboration
- Investigating and implementing further options to encourage a greater focus on joint and regional solutions in utility strategic planning and facilitate improved resource sharing between utilities
- Developing and implementing mechanisms to ensure regional water strategies and utility strategic service planning inform each other and effectively align their modelling, risk and options analyses where these relate to town water supplies.
We have undertaken extensive engagement to better understand successful existing collaborative approaches and opportunities for utilities to participate in collaboration.
This has included:
- meeting with the Water Directorate Executive Committee – July 2021
- face to face workshops in Griffith and Dubbo - June 2021
- an online workshop with over 70 participants - August 2021
- meeting with Joint Organisation Executive Officers - August 2021
- various one on one discussions with utilities, joint organisations and industry bodies.
We are finalising a range pilots to evaluate and test collaborative approaches to reduce risks in key areas identified in through the engagement process, including:
- trade waste management
- asset management
- emergency and incident management.
Further information about these pilots will be available in the near future.