Draft amendments to the Gwydir Valley Floodplain Management Plan
The Department of Planning and Environment is seeking stakeholder views on proposed amendments to the Floodplain Management Plan for the Gwydir Valley Floodplain Management Plan 2016. Submissions on the proposed amendments will be accepted from Monday, 26 September to Monday, 31 October 2022.
The floodplain management plan establishes the framework for the coordination of flood work development on a whole-of-valley basis. The plan includes management zones, rules and assessment criteria for granting or amending approvals for
The proposed amendments address some recommendations from recent reviews of the plan and its implementation, and consistency with more recently developed floodplain management plans. They include changes to the current Management Zones Map, additional rules and administrative changes.
The proposed changes include:
- additional places of ecological or Aboriginal cultural significance (or both) to Management Zone D1 (special protection zone)
- local hydraulic and ecological refinements to Management Zone A
- refinements to Management Zones B and C to reflect the alignment of works in a flood work approval
- realignment of Management Zone D to correct a projection error in the mapping for the Lower Gingham Watercourse area
- provisions for ecological, cultural and heritage site enhancement works in Management Zones A and D
- other changes to the rules and assessment criteria for flood work applications to ensure consistency with other rural floodplain management plans.
The public consultation period will provide opportunities for floodplain landholders, stakeholders and other interested parties to learn more about the proposed amendments to the floodplain management plan, and to make a submission on the proposed amendments. The department will consider feedback and issues raised during the consultation phase before making a recommendation to the Minister for Lands and Water.
If the amendments are supported by the Minister, it will take effect from when the associated amendment order is published on the NSW legislation website.
Public information session
Register and attend a public information session to learn more about the proposed amendments.
|Location||Description||Register for event|
- draft amended Gwydir Valley Floodplain Management Plan (PDF, 4172.33 KB)
- proposed changes to the Gwydir Valley Floodplain Management Plan fact sheet (PDF, 588.78 KB)
- amendments to floodplain management plans fact sheet (PDF, 176.63 KB)
- view the Management Zones Map of the Gwydir Valley Floodplain Management Plan (PDF, 1207.69 KB) showing proposed areas of change
If you require assistance reading these documents, please contact 1300 081 047 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To speak to a department officer about the proposed change, please register your interest in an individual appointment by emailing email@example.com.
Make a submission
If you would like to make a submission you can:
- email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- complete an online form via the 'have your say' button below; or
- download and complete the (submission form PDF, 256.69 KB) and post it to;
Gwydir Valley FMP amendments
Department of Planning and Environment – Water
PO Box 189, Queanbeyan NSW 2620
Submissions will be accepted until midnight 31 October 2022.
We respect your right to privacy. Before lodging your submission you will be asked to confirm that you have read our privacy statement. If you wish to maintain your privacy in this submission process you must:
- request your name be withheld when emailing your submission to us
- not include any of your personal information in your submission or attachments.
When you make a submission we will publish:
- the content of your submission and any attachments, including any personal information about you which you have chosen to include in those documents
- a list of submitters, which will include your name (unless you request your name be withheld) and your suburb or town.