Water Management (General) Amendment (Miscellaneous) Regulation 2020
Have your say
We are seeking your feedback on proposed changes to the Water Management (General) Regulation 2020 to improve consistency and transparency of reporting for metered water users.
Consultation Period: 9 September 2020 to 7 October 2020
What’s this about?
The proposed changes will complement existing requirements under the Water Management (General) Regulation 2018 for licensed water users with metered works to report their water take.
Under the proposed changes (underlined):
- Water users with a meter who use a pump, bore or other work to take both licensed water and unlicensed water, such as water taken under a basic landholder right or another licence exemption, will need to report this water take to the Minister every month.
- Water users who have a meter but not telemetry will need to submit a ‘self-assessed’ meter reading to the Minister every month, regardless of their water source. This requirement will not apply to water users who use telemetry.
Together with the other recording and reporting requirements that will come into force when the new metering rules roll out, the proposed changes will replace the existing patchwork of reporting rules in water sharing plans, supporting consistency and transparency about water take information.
The NSW Government is developing an online reporting portal to make it easy for water users to report their water take.
Who does this affect?
The proposed changes will apply to licensed water users who are captured by NSW’s non-urban metering rules and:
- use a single pump, bore or other work to take both licensed water and unlicensed water, such as water under basic landholder rights or other licence exemption, or
- are required to have a meter but not telemetry, and choose not to voluntarily use telemetry.
If these changes are made, they will come into effect in line with the existing rollout dates for the non-urban metering rules:
- 1 December 2020 for all surface water pumps 500 mm and above for the whole of
- 1 December 2021 for remaining works in the northern inland
- 1 December 2022 for remaining works in the southern inland
- 1 December 2023 – for remaining works in coastal NSW