Licence applications & fees
Responsibilities for granting and managing water licences are shared between our department and WaterNSW.
For information, go to Governance.
Rural landholders and rural industries
WaterNSW is your one stop shop for licensing services for rural landholders and industries.
Our department’s customers
The following information is provided for our department’s customers.
Water access licences
You can apply for a new water access licence:
- with zero licence shares - to take water you will need to purchase licence shares or water allocations on the water market
- with a specific purpose relating to domestic consumption, water utilities, or Aboriginal cultural purposes
- in accordance with the rules for granting new water access licences in the relevant water sharing plan
- if you have acquired the right to apply through a controlled allocation process.
| Water access |
| Application |
| Supporting |
|Zero licence shares||Apply and pay online|
|Application form ((PDF 503.5 KB))||Guide ((PDF 417.5 KB))|
|Specific purpose||Apply and pay online|
|Application form ((PDF 512.3 KB))||Guide ((PDF 440.5 KB))|
|Controlled allocation||Apply and pay online|
|Application form ((DOCX 184.9 KB))||Guide ((PDF 97.6 KB))|
Water Act 1912 licences
You can apply for a new Water Act 1912 licence:
- relating to lakes and rivers, and drainage works (Part 2 licence):
- surface water licence - for single landholding with the same landholders
- authority for joint water supply scheme - for multiple landholdings with different landholders
- surface water permit - duration up to two years.
- relating to aquifers and aquifer interference activities (Part 5 licence).
|Water Act 1912 licence||Forms|
|Lakes and rivers, and drainage works||Surface water licence||Application form ((PDF 699.4 KB))|
|Authority for joint water supply scheme||Application form ((PDF 534.8 KB))|
|Surface water permit||Application form ((PDF 621.4 KB))|
|Aquifers and aquifer interference activities||Groundwater licence||Application form ((PDF 622.2 KB))|
For information about application fees for new water licences, download the fact sheet: Water licences - application fees 2018-19 ((PDF 112.8 KB))
How to complete and submit an application form
For information about how to complete an application form, download the fact sheet: How to complete and submit an application form ((PDF 320.6 KB)
Amending your water licence
WaterNSW is responsible for managing applications to amend water licences, including for our department’s customers.