Responsibilities for granting and managing water licences and approvals are shared between Department of Industry – Water and WaterNSW.
The department is responsible for water licences and approvals required by or for:
- Government agencies, including other NSW government agencies, local councils and the Commonwealth
- State owned corporations
- Water utilities, water supply authorities and licensed network operators under the Water Industry Competition Act 2006
- Major developments (state significant developments and state significant infrastructure)
- Irrigation corporations
- Schools and hospitals
- Aboriginal communities and businesses
- Floodplain harvesting
- Controlled activities carried out in, on or beside rivers, lakes and estuaries
WaterNSW is responsible for water licences and approvals required by:
- Rural landholders
- Rural industries
- Developments which are not state significant development or state significant infrastructure
WaterNSW is also responsible for managing trade of water access licences, licence entitlements and water allocations.