Snowy Hydro corporate licence
Snowy Hydro Limited (SHL), the operator of the Snowy Hydro-electric Scheme, was issued with a package of agreements, licences and other regulatory instruments in preparation for corporatisation in 2002. One component of this package was the Snowy Water Licence issued on 30 May 2002 under the Snowy Hydro Corporatisation Act 1997 (NSW).
The Snowy Water Licence defines SHL's water rights and obligations and strikes a balance between the competing demands for water for hydro-electricity generation and the environment. The licence allows SHL to collect, divert, store, and release water by and from the works of the Snowy Scheme for the 75 year term of the licence. The licence also defines the rules for releases into the Murray and Murrumbidgee Rivers and imposes environmental flow release obligations on SHL for the benefit of the Snowy River and other montane rivers (the rivers of the Snowy mountains).
For more information download the Snowy Water Licence – October 2011 (PDF, 415 KB).
Reviews of the Snowy Hydro licence
The licence is subject to mandatory reviews under the Snowy Hydro Corporatisation Act 1997 (the Act), initially after five years and then at intervals of 10 years. A five year review was commenced in 2007 and completed in 2009.
The first 10 year mandatory review of the licence was commenced on 28 June 2017. Information briefings were held in Sydney and Melbourne during the submission period. The review received 24 submissions from a range of stakeholders including SHL, government agencies, environmental groups, community groups and individuals. Responses are being collated and reviewed, and a draft report will be prepared for discussion in 2018. Preliminary findings of the review indicate opportunities to increase transparency and improve efficiency of administration.
For more information contact email@example.com.
- Snowy Water Licence Review - Terms of Reference
- Snowy Water Licence Review - fact sheet
- Snowy Water Licence Review - public presentation
- Snowy Scientific Committee reports:
- Adequacy of environmental releases to the Snowy River
- Adequacy of environmental releases to the upper Murrumbidgee River
- NSW Government response to 'Adequacy of environmental releases to the Snowy River
- NSW Government Response to 'Adequacy of environmental releases to the upper Murrumbidgee River'
- Snowy Water Inquiry Outcomes Implementation Deed
- Snowy Hydro Corporatisation Act 1997
The following submissions were received as part of the 10 year review of the Snowy Water Licence. The views expressed in the submissions are the views of the submitters. While the department seeks to ensure that defamatory material is not published, the department is not responsible for the views expressed in the submissions.
- A G Andrich (PDF, 70.32 KB)
- Australian Dairy Industry Council Inc. (PDF, 174.23 KB)
- B R Dunn (PDF, 26.05 KB)
- C Ingram (PDF, 141.91 KB)
- Coleambally Irrigation Co-operative Limited (PDF, 693.34 KB)
- Commonwealth Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (PDF, 1333.89 KB)
- Dalgety Chamber of Commerce Inc. (PDF, 368.69 KB)
- Dalgety District and Community Association (PDF, 102.59 KB)
- E Guarracino and R Valler (PDF, 79.06 KB)
- Environment Victoria (PDF, 89.12 KB)
- Gippsland Environment Group (PDF, 460.69 KB)
- I E Pottage (PDF, 1935.06 KB)
- M Talbot (PDF, 49.68 KB)
- Murray Irrigation (PDF, 556.11 KB)
- Murray-Darling Basin Authority ( PDF, 202.11 KB)
- National Farmers' Federation (PDF, 201.14 KB)
- National Parks Association of NSW (PDF, 528.42 KB)
- New South Wales Irrigators' Council (PDF, 485.98 KB)
- Ricegrowers' Association of Australia ( PDF, 354.08 KB)
- Snowy Hydro Limited (PDF, 6100.38 KB)
- Snowy River Alliance (PDF, 324.28 KB)
- V Wallace (PDF, 68.58 KB)
- Victorian Government ( PDF, 271.88 KB)
- WaterNSW (PDF, 80.66 KB)