The department manages groundwater and surface water resources in various basins and catchments throughout the state.
Find out about the water resources and water management issues, including real-time water data in all New South Wales catchments including these major areas:
Find your catchment
Browse the list of catchment below or use the map to locate your catchment area.
A - F
M - R
For more functionality (e.g. to view via satellite or terrain) view the source map.
Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
The department plays an important role in researching and reporting on rivers, groundwater and catchment health. Find out more about the health of catchments throughout NSW.
The department is currently developing detailed catchment description reports, initially for the major inland regulated river valleys and later covering the whole state. The reports include information such as climate, hydrology, environmental aspects, land use, water resources, regulating structures and water resource management.
Water resources and management overview
- Barwon Darling catchment ((PDF 2.2 MB))
- Border Rivers catchment ((PDF 1.5 MB))
- Gwydir catchment ((PDF 7.9 MB))
- Lachlan catchment ((PDF 3.7 MB))
- Murray and Lower Darling River catchment ((PDF 5.1 MB))
- Macquarie-Castlereagh catchment ((PDF 4.4 MB))
- Murrumbidgee catchment ((PDF 4.0 MB))
- Namoi catchment ((PDF 3.6 MB))