Draft Great Artesian Basin Strategic Management Plan 2018
On 27 July 2018 the Commonwealth Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources released the draft Great Artesian Basin Strategic Management Plan 2018 for public consultation.
The draft plan was developed by the Australian, state and territory governments in consultation with the Great Artesian Basin Coordinating Committee, who represent communities, landholders, water users and the various industries operating in the Basin.
This plan builds on the objectives, outcomes and activities of the previous Strategic Management Plan, which was in operation for 15 years until September 2015, and will set the future vision for the Great Artesian Basin.
What is included in the draft plan
The draft plan includes seven guiding principles for managing the Great Artesian Basin to achieve economic, environmental, cultural and social outcomes. The principles cover:
- coordinated governance
- maintaining the health of the Basin
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural values
- secure and managed access
- judicious use of water
- information and knowledge management
- educating water users on the Basin
Implementation of the plan
Once the plan has been finalised, it will be implemented over a 15 year period (to 2033). The plan takes a principle based approach to guide governments, industry and communities in managing the emerging issues and opportunities together.
Public exhibition period
The draft plan is on exhibition for comment from Friday 27 July 2018 to Friday 5 October 2018. All submissions will be considered in finalising the new Great Artesian Basin Strategic Management Plan 2018.
How to make a submission
Submissions can be made on the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website.
NSW Department of Industry - Water invites you to attend one of the consultation sessions as part of the public exhibition of the draft Strategic Management Plan.
- Wednesday 5 September, 2.00 pm, Sydney, MLC Building L48, 19 Martin Place
- Tuesday 11 September, 10.30 am, Moree, Moree Services Club, 3 Albert Street
- Wednesday 12 September, 10.00 am, Walgett, Walgett RSL Club, 71 Fox Street
- Thursday 13 September, 10.00 am, Bourke, Diggers on the Darling, 23 Sturt Street
To register for a session please contact Adam Smith on (02) 6641 6504 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information on the draft Plan can be found at the following websites: