Outlook, forecasts and status updates
To assist with forward planning, the department provides various information products throughout the water year to assist water users in assessing likely future water availability.
In autumn each year, the department prepares a 'next water year' outlook with an indicative water availability forecast over the upcoming water year for most valleys, and in particular, the southern catchments, where the rules and sharing arrangements are more complex.
Throughout the year, brief climate outlook summaries are provided in each water allocation statement, and are based on the information from the Bureau of Meteorology's monthly climate outlook.
Further information on NSW seasonal conditions and outlooks are available from the Department of Primary Industries website.
Periodically, forecasts of available water determinations under different climate conditions are available in the water allocation statements for some valleys. This includes the Murray, Murrumbidgee, Lachlan and Macquarie-Cudgegong.
Status updates - stakeholder presentations
Periodically throughout the year, the department provides allocation updates at stakeholder forums. Such forums include major industry body sessions, which are open to their members, as well as departmental run sessions, which are open to all water customers.
Links to forum presentations are provided below.
- Water allocations update Southern Valleys - August 2022
- Water allocations - current status and allocation update: NSW Murrumbidgee regulated river water sources - August 2019
- Available Water Determinations - how they are made: NSW Murray regulated river water sources - August 2019
- Murray-Lower Darling: DoI-Water at Ricegrowers' Association, 27 November 2018
- Murrumbidgee: DoI-Water at Ricegrowers' Association, 13 November 2018
- Namoi-Peel: DoI-Water public stakeholder session, 22 August 2018
- Gwydir: DoI-Water stakeholder session, 30 August 2018