Outlook, forecasts and status updates
To assist with forward planning, the department provides various information products throughout the water year to assist water users in assessing likely future water availability.
In autumn each year, the department prepares a 'next water year' outlook with an indicative water availability forecast over the upcoming water year for the southern basins, where the rules and sharing arrangements are more complex.
Further information on NSW seasonal conditions and outlooks are available from the Department of Primary Industries website.
Periodically, forecasts of available water determinations under different climate conditions are available in the water allocation statements for some valleys. This includes the Murray, Murrumbidgee, Lachlan and Macquarie-Cudgegong.
Key dates May – July 2019
Download the Water Allocations and Drought Timeline 2019
Status updates - stakeholder presentations
Periodically throughout the year, we provide allocation updates at stakeholder forums. Such forums include both major industry body sessions which are open to their members as well as general DoI Water run sessions which are open to all water users .
The most recent of each such valley presentations for the current water year is provided below.
- Water allocations - current status and allocation update: NSW Murrumbidgee regulated river water sources - August 2019
- Available Water Determinations - how they are made: NSW Murray regulated river water sources - August 2019
- Murray-Lower Darling: DoI-Water at Ricegrowers' Association, 27 November 2018
- Murrumbidgee: DoI-Water at Ricegrowers' Association, 13 November 2018
- Namoi-Peel: DoI-Water public stakeholder session, 22 August 2018
- Gwydir: DoI-Water stakeholder session, 30 August 2018