New Walgett PCYC a model for the future
Media release| 16 December 2021
A new $7.5 million Police Citizen’s Youth Club has been officially opened on Crown land at Walgett in a joint project between the NSW Government, PCYC NSW and Walgett Shire Council.
The ribbon was cut by Governor-General David Hurley AC DSC (Retd).
PCYC NSW CEO Dominic Teakle said the new multi-purpose hub will provide first class sport and recreational facilities and social activities like dances and film nights.
“Walgett PCYC will collaborate with Walgett Shire Council and other government and non-government organisations to support youth programs,” Mr Teakle said.
“The club will support police to engage positively with young people in line with the RiseUp strategy, and allow agencies to provide a one stop safe place for all community members to gather and feel supported.”
The multi-function facility will be a great asset for Walgett’s 2,000-strong community providing a hub for local youth and people of all ages, and includes:
- Air-conditioned indoor multi-purpose sports court for basketball, netball, futsal, badminton, and volleyball.
- Multi-purpose activity space for gymnastics, trampolining, climbing, ninja monkey bars, and parkour.
- Fully functional gym with weights.
- Youth hub area for young people to meet, play table tennis, listen to music and play computer games.
- Green features, including rainwater collection and purification, and solar panels.
- Social enterprise with car and caravan washing facilities to provide work, and business and marketing experience for young people.
Funding for the club has been provided by the NSW Government, with contributions from Regional NSW and the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment – Crown Lands, and $450,000 from Walgett Shire Council.
Minister for Water, Property and Housing Melinda Pavey said construction had supported people in the area through the employment of local apprentices, local trades and regional materials suppliers.
“It’s fantastic to see Crown land empowering community connections through PCYC which is one of NSW’s leading not-for-profits,” Mrs Pavey said.
Take a virtual tour of the new Walgett PCYC.
Official opening of the new Walgett PCYC
Fully equipped gym at Walgett PCYC