$687,500 stimulus upgrades for Kiama Showground
Media release | 19 April 2021
One of Australia’s great country showgrounds is set for a major refurbishment thanks to the NSW Government and Kiama Council.
The historic Kiama Showground will undergo extensive repairs and refurbishments worth $687,500 over the next 12 months.
Member for Kiama Gareth Ward said the investment in the iconic showground precinct, which dates back to 1908, was supported by the NSW Government’s COVID-19 stimulus program.
“The Kiama Showground is arguably the most beautiful and recognised Showground in regional Australia, and a crucial part of our community’s heritage and public life,” Mr Ward said.
“The showground has hosted the Kiama Show for more than a century, been the home of the Kiama Rugby Club and Kiama Knights Rugby League Club, as well as the setting for movies, rock concerts, car shows and innumerable weddings.
“I’m thrilled to have once again worked with Kiama Council to help secure funding to ensure the showground continues to be a focus for community events and activities for a long time to come.”
Kiama Mayor Mark Honey said the funds would allow Kiama Council to renew the sports fields, stables, cattle yards and amenities.
“The showground already boasts a world-class function centre in The Pavilion, which we were able to rebuild in 2009 with the help of the NSW Government,” Councillor Honey said.
“Now we will be able to our much-loved football fields and agricultural buildings up to the same standard.”
The refurbishments will include:
- New sports field lighting suitable for night matches at the showground
- Removal and replacement of asbestos roofing
- Remediation of the playing surfaces of the showground and Chittick Oval
- Providing removable goals posts for the showground and Chittick Oval
- Refurbishing the horse and cattle stables and cattle yards
- Installing irrigation at the showground and Chittick Oval
- Refurbishing the amenities at the horse stables and rugby club
- Installing new mobile grandstand seating at the Showground