NSW home to the nation's small business champions
Media release | 5 April 2017
Penrith-based ACR Business Systems was crowned the nation’s Champion Small Business of the Decade as NSW scooped the pool at the Australian Small Business Champions Awards.
Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional NSW, Skills and Small Business, John Barilaro, said the company was one of 30 NSW small businesses that won awards at the showcase event held at The Westin.
“It’s fantastic to see all the hard work and innovation of NSW small businesses recognised at these national awards,” Mr Barilaro said.
“Taking home 30 out of 46 top prizes is a wonderful achievement in itself, and it was particularly exciting to see one of our own win named the inaugural Champion Small Business of the Decade, an award which recognises excellence in growth, innovation, jobs creation and customer service over the past 10 years.”
ACR Business Systems provides end-to-end system software to businesses in the wholesale, retail, manufacturing and telecommunications industries, servicing a diverse range of industry verticals from hardware to confectionery.
“It’s clear that the NSW Government’s efforts to make this State the easiest place in Australia to start and grow a small business are paying dividends,” added Mr Barilaro.
NSW invests in small business through the $30 million Business Connect program, which provides small businesses with confidential, low-cost, local advice via a network of almost 70 advisors across the State.
“We’re also levelling the playing field for landlords and leaseholders with a new Retail Leases Act, we’re driving better outcomes for auto repairers and insurers with a new industry Code of Conduct, and we’re skilling up SMEs for the digital revolution,” he added.
“Our state gained 20,000 new small businesses in 2016, the largest increase of any state, on the back of strong business confidence and economic growth.”
The Deputy Premier said the Australian Small Business Champions Awards put the spotlight firmly on the success of the state’s 710,000 strong small business sector, which employs about 1.5 million people, almost half the state’s workforce.
Download the media release.
NSW winners at the Australian Small Business Champion Awards
- Accounting services - PLH Accountants, East Maitland
- Automotive Services - Bonnyrigg Tyres & Mechanical, Bonnyrigg
- Beauty Services - The Temple Skincare, Castle Hill
- Business Services - Alderton Enterprises, Mortdale
- Cafe - The Shaggy Cow, Mittagong
- Children's Educational Services - Global Education Academy, Kogarah
- Children's Services - The Hills Learning Centre, Castle Hill
- Educational Services - Prestige Driving School, Mortdale
- Fitness Services - Gfitness, Rhodes
- Florist - Jodie McGregor Flowers, Annandale
- Hairdressing - American Barber Company, Manly
- Health Improvement Services - Soulful, Fitness Lane Cove
- Home & Garden Improvement - J & JJ Landscaping, Castle Hill
- Jewellery Store - Dracakis Jewellers, Mosman
- Legal Services - Anderson Boemi Lawyers, Dural
- Performing Arts - Static Dance Studios, Glendenning
- Pharmacy - Mega Save Chemist Charlestown, Charlestown
- Photography Business - Blue Steel Photo and Video Booths, Balgowlah
- Professional Medical Services - Demeter Fertility, Liverpool
- Professional Services - McCrindle Research, Baulkham Hills
- Real Estate Agency - Wiseberry Heritage Group, Gorokan
- Recruitment Services - Lotus People, Sydney
- Restaurant - Moretti Ristorante Pizzeria, Leichhardt
- Specialised Retail Small Business - Andy & Sons, Canterbury
- Tourism - The Africa Safari Co, Sutherland
- Trade Services - Glenco Electrical Services, Alexandria
- Wedding Services - Sposabella Weddings & Events, Five Dock
- Business of the Decade - ACR Business Systems, Penrith
- Indigenous Business - Ozbid Auctions, Lilyfield
Download the press ready image