2017 NSW Training Awards winners announced
Media release | 8 September 2017
The State’s most outstanding Vocational Education and Training (VET) students and organisations have been honoured at the 2017 NSW State Training Awards at Sydney Town Hall.
Deputy Premier and Minister for Skills John Barilaro said the awards held last night were a fantastic showcase for the State’s VET talent.
“The NSW Training Awards is the annual showcase of our world class VET sector and its many outstanding students, teachers, training organisations and employers,” Mr Barilaro said.
“I congratulate all the winners on their outstanding achievements.
“Their success is typical of the fantastic outcomes that can be achieved through VET and I wish them the best of luck representing NSW at the Australian Training Awards in Canberra in November.
“The quality of this year’s finalists and winners was truly outstanding.
“They all demonstrated a commitment and passion for VET to acquire the skills they need to set themselves up for rewarding careers.
“Our Apprentice of the Year Jordan Cahill has shown exemplary skills studying landscape construction at TAFE NSW in Northern Sydney and in his on-the-job training with The Gardenmakers Pty Ltd.
“Our Trainee of the Year Madison Coelli has risen to every challenge studying business administration with TAFE NSW in the Riverina and is progressing strongly in her on-the-job training at Southern Cotton,” he said.
Mr Barilaro said VET is opening doors to fantastic careers and lifestyle opportunities for people of all ages across NSW.
“More and more students, parents and teachers are realising that VET is a credible alternative to university for securing a well-paying, quality job,” Mr Barilaro said.
“That’s why the Government has embarked on its ‘Doors of Opportunity’ campaign to highlight the strengths of VET and the career pathways it can lead to,” he said.
Winners of the major individual awards at the 2017 NSW Training Awards
- Apprentice of the Year: Jordan Cahill (TAFE NSW – Northern Sydney)
- Trainee of the Year: Madison Coelli (TAFE NSW - Riverina)
- Vocational Student of the Year: Liam Muldoon (TAFE NSW – North Coast)
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Student of the Year: Donald Dundas (TAFE NSW – New England)
- VET Trainer/Teacher of the Year: Darek Figa (TAFE NSW – North Coast)
- School Based Apprentice/Trainee of the Year: Mark Doughty (TAFE NSW – Western Sydney)
- VET in Schools Student of the Year: Rose Cox (Strathfield Girls High School)
Download the media release