Land information searches

The preservation of Crown land is the responsibility of all NSW residents.

We provide land status and information services to make sure everyone has the ability to protect the land.

New legislation came into force on 1 July 2018, read the fact sheet for more information on the changes.

Conveyancing search

When buying a property, there are many things for you to consider. We recommend doing a conveyancing search before settlement to make sure there are no Crown land tenures connected to the property you are purchasing. Crown land tenures may include a lease, licence or enclosure permit.

Crown land conveyancing searches are particularly important for waterfront land and rural properties.

A conveyancing search will provide the following information:

  • the existence of any Crown tenure
  • any payment due (including any arrears that may become payable by the purchaser upon settlement)
  • the due dates for any amount owing.

Conveyancing searches can only be undertaken by solicitors or conveyancers, and should be discussed with the professional looking after your purchase or sale. A separate application is required for each individually rateable property.

Read the frequently asked questions for more information.

Applying for a conveyancing search

To apply, a solicitor or conveyancer must complete a Crown land conveyancing search application form and forward the form, together with payment, to:

Status search

We provide a land status and information service for all Crown land and Crown roads in NSW. If you are considering using or buying an area of Crown land, it is best to check its status. A land status report may include details of ownership, historical and chronological information, land description, and boundary details.

Due to the time it takes to conduct a detailed status search, a fee is charged. Once we've received an application, we'll complete an assessment and provide a cost. Payment is required before any status investigation goes ahead.

Applying for a status search

Email: to request a status search.

The application should include, if available, the lot number, Crown portion, parish names, location and a clear diagram illustrating the Crown land or Crown roads in question.

Historical searches

There are a number of ways you can access historical information relating to land settlement in NSW.

You can access information through: