Managing schools of arts
Schools of arts, mechanics’ institutes and literary institutes are part of a statewide network of public halls that are managed by volunteers, not-for-profit organisations, and local councils, to service community needs.
Institutions on public land:
- are Crown land reserved for the purposes of an institution, for community use, or for any other similar purpose
- allow for a continued role for trustees to manage the land in much the same way as they currently do, either as statutory land managers or as Crown land managers.
Institutions on private land:
- will be governed by the Trustees Act 1925
- allow for a number of management options, including:
- continuing with current management
- transferring to Crown land
- forming an agreement with the local council to manage the land under the Local Government Act 1993.
The NSW Department of Industry is supporting the institutions with information on the changes and the options available.