Filming, events and short-term licences

If you want to undertake a short-term activity on Crown land, you will need to apply for a short-term licence.

We recommend that you submit your completed application at least two months prior to your proposed start date.

This licence is used for short-term activities, such as:

  • one-off short-term events – for example, a music festival or gala day
  • filming or photography
  • environmental protection and/or rehabilitation – for example, foreshore stabilisation, eradication of noxious weeds or land regeneration
  • education and training – for example, 4WD training or SES drills
  • environmental studies or monitoring – for example, flora and fauna surveys, endangered species protection

You will need to pay a one-off rental fee for most short-term licences, except in instances where a significant community or environmental benefit can be demonstrated.

Filming licence

We support the creative industries in NSW by making our diverse and scenic Crown land available to filmmakers and photographers wherever possible.

If you are planning to undertake any filming or still photography on Crown land you will need a short-term licence.

Filmmakers and photographers should submit a short-term licence application to film on Crown land with as much notice as possible prior to your proposed filming schedule.

We regulate film production to make sure these activities are carried out in a safe manner. It also ensures there is minimal disruption to local residents, businesses and other Crown land users.

How to apply

Read the fact sheet, guidelines and submit a completed short-term licence application including:

  • a map with the proposed areas marked
  • information on the proposed dates and how long you intend to occupy the land, including any set-up and cleaning time
  • information regarding your public liability insurance.

To find out more about short-term licences contact us.