Extractive industry licence

To operate a quarry to extract sand, soil or gravel from Crown land you will need an extractive industry licence.

The department is committed to equitable access to and allocation of Crown land. Therefore, any new extractive industry licence will be offered by way of public competition, such as an expression of interest, unless circumstances warrant entering into direct negotiations. A number of factors are assessed by the department prior to deciding on which method of allocation to use.

In the first instance, it is strongly recommended that once a site has been identified, and prior to formally applying for a licence, proponents contact us to discuss the identified site and seek advice on the next steps for obtaining a licence.