Domestic waterfront licence

If you want to have facilities such as jetties, berthing areas, boat ramps, slipways and pontoons on foreshore Crown land adjoining your property, you will need a domestic waterfront licence.

The department issues these licences to individuals for the use of submerged and tidal Crown land where there is direct access to Crown land. By managing built structures on our waterways through appropriate licencing, we can ensure that waterways are not overcrowded and are balanced with the public’s right to foreshore access.

The domestic waterfront licence agreement starts from the transfer date on title – typically settlement or acquisition date – and is granted to the registered owners of the adjoining property where structures are located below the mean high water mark. The licence agreement outlines the responsibility of the licence holder over the life cycle of the structure, from initial granting of licence, ownership, care and maintenance, rent and payments, indemnity and insurance, through to the removal of a structure.

The domestic waterfront tenures program receives high volumes and processing times can be lengthy, depending on the complexity of the application. You can continue to use your waterfront facilities while your application is being assessed. As the licence commencement date is the transfer date shown on title, you may incur back dated rent while your application is being processed. Once you sign and return your licence, the Minister’s delegate executes the licence and provides you with a copy for your records along with an invoice for any fees due. If you experience difficulty paying your rent by the due date, please contact the department to discuss financial hardship concessions.

Our domestic waterfront licence holders brochurepurchasing a waterfront property fact sheet, domestic waterfront guidelines, rent fact sheet and standard terms and conditions provide further information.

For information on sublicencing read the sublicencing frequently asked questions, template sublicencing terms and conditions and the deed poll template.

The department has an active and risk based compliance and enforcement regime to help protect Crown land against illegal activity that threatens environmental values or the enjoyment of Crown land users. Find more information about development and use of Crown foreshores and waterways including  guidelines, fact sheets and FAQs.

Application forms