Apply for a Crown land licence

The department issues licences to individuals, companies or entities and community organisations for a number of purposes, including:

  • waterfront structures, such as jetties, boat ramps and slipways
  • grazing stock
  • extractive industry operations, such as quarries and dredging of sand and gravel from waterways
  • agriculture and cultivation
  • water supply and access, such as pump sites and pipelines for domestic use and irrigation
  • communication facilities, such as communication towers
  • short term purposes such as sporting events, filming, environmental rehabilitation or site investigations.

A licence over Crown land is a contractual agreement that grants the licensee a personal right to occupy and use Crown land for a particular purpose. Licences are normally granted through public tender or by invitation for expressions of interest, unless circumstances exist to warrant direct negotiation.

The department is guided by the Licensing of Crown land policy and guideline.

Oyster farming and aquaculture activities - view 'Leases and licences for oyster farming on Crown land fact sheet'.

Features of a licence

Crown land licences are:

  • subject to payment of annual rent, which is reviewed at regular intervals
  • for either a specified or unspecified period of time
  • not transferable, except in specified circumstances
  • protected by conditions outlined in the licence agreement
  • subject to local government rates, payable to your local council.

Assessing a licence application

Each licence application is considered individually taking into account:

  • departmental and other government policies and guidelines
  • land assessment and capability
  • Aboriginal land claims
  • native title
  • site inspection
  • development consent
  • valuation
  • drafting and negotiating terms and conditions

How to apply

Complete and submit the Licence: new application form