The following resources provide practical support to Crown land managers in undertaking their duties in managing a Crown reserve.


On 1 July 2018 the Crown Land Management Act 2016 (the Act) came into force. The handbook refers to terminology and references to repealed legislation.

The information contained within the handbook is currently being reviewed and progressively replaced to reflect statutory changes contained within the Act and Crown Land Management Regulation 2018.

The handbook contains outdated terminology and references, however, much of the information contained within this handbook remains relevant and will remain available for reference until new guidance material becomes available. Transition guides provide an overview of the legislation changes for Crown land managers. Crown land managers should seek advice from the department when planning a new activity on the reserve, unsure or require assistance.

The Handbook was the comprehensive guide for the management of Crown reserves under the Crown Lands Act 1989.

The Handbook appendices provides supplementary material to the Handbook.

Crown land manager resources

Legislation transition

Transition guides have been created to support managers to comply with the Crown Land Management Act 2016.

Community engagement

A Community Engagement Strategy has been developed as a key requirement of the new Crown Land Management Act 2016.

The interactive online resource provides an outline of the strategy and is designed to assist Crown land managers in understanding its requirements.

A PDF version of the Community Engagement Strategy resource (PDF, 5.7 MB) is also available for download.

Leases and licences

With the consent of the Minister for Lands and Forestry, Crown land managers can enter into leases and licences with third parties to use all or part of the reserve on an ongoing basis. For more information, visit leases and licences.


If you are using pesticides in a public place, including Crown reserves you will need to prepare a pesticide use notification plan and notify the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA).

Pesticide use notification plans must set out:

  • the operational area where pesticides will be used
  • how and when public notice of the use of pesticides will be given
  • the proposed uses, categories of, or specific prescribed public places
  • where the public notification is to operate
  • categories of people who regularly use the prescribed public places to be notified
  • the protection measures to be taken where the pesticide is to be used in an area adjacent to a sensitive place such as a school, child care centre, hospital, nursing home or a place declared by the EPA by notice in the Government Gazette.

You will also need to give public notice of your intention to use pesticides on the Crown reserve in accordance with the adopted pesticide use notification plan.

The department has prepared a pesticide notification plan that applies to all Crown land. Crown land managers should use this as a guide in preparing notices of pesticide use for their reserves.

Changes from 1 July 2018 - new pesticide requirements

Contractors engaged to undertake pesticide work on Crown land must meet all legislative requirements for pesticide use. This may include holding a licence or training permit and only using registered pesticides.

You can find out more about your legal obligations on the EPA website.

Risk and safety

Crown land managers are expected to manage and comply with health and safety requirements. The following resources provide an overview of work health and safety on Crown reserves.

Crown Reserve Newsletters

For more information see Reserve management