International food companies visit NSW for technology inspiration
13 April 2018
Some of the state’s most innovative food technology companies were showcased this week to an international delegation of food companies, equity investors and venture capital firm, with support from the NSW Government.
The delegation included companies with technology related to food enhancing, analysing or processing who wanted to partner or establish in Australia, and others seeking to source and develop functional food ingredients and technologies.
NSW has a strong international reputation for clean, green and delicious produce - food and beverage exports topped $5 billion in 2016/17.
The event was a fantastic opportunity to showcase NSW’s best food technology capabilities, including companies from regional areas like Orange and the Riverina as well as Sydney, together with the state’s university and research expertise.
NSW companies that took part in the event included:
- Australian Functional Foods (Orange) - has developed technology for processing fresh fruit and vegetables to produce food and beverage products that offer health and wellbeing benefits beyond basic nutrition. affb.com.au
- Outback Harvest (Riverina) - produces 'Teff', a gluten free ancient grain high in calcium, iron, fibre, protein, and essential amino acids and minerals. outbackharvest.com.au
- AgriDigital (Sydney) - blockchain enabled cloud-based platform for agricultural supply chains connecting farmers, buyers, site operators and financiers. www.agridigital.io
- Woolpack Ltd - manufactures 'Woolcool' packaging solution that uses ‘sheep belly wool’, normally a waste product destined for landfill, to produce a more effective insulated packaging solution that is biodegradable, sustainable and compostable. www.woolcool.com.au
- Botanical Innovations (Orange) - biotechnology company which has created new and innovative nutraceutical flavours, fragrances and ingredients. botanicalinnovations.com.au
- Agritechnology Pty Ltd (Orange) - founder of Australian Functional Foods and Bio Processing Australia this research development company applies biological processing to value add to raw materials, develop nutritional products for animal and human food and develop commercially viable production systems. www.agritechnology.com.au
- BioChite Pty Ltd (Woronora) - start-up company that manufactures a biodegradable plastic alternative for horticultural and packaging purposes made from food waste (crustacean shells) and all natural ingredients.
- Food Industry Foresight Pty Ltd (North Sydney) - offers food industry clients integrated market research, data and forecasting and has started an initiative called Future in food service looking at new technology and innovation in the food sector. www.fiforesight.com
- Love Organic Living - family business that has developed high potency turmeric and other products for the food market. www.loveorganicliving.com.au