Best new Aussie ICT talent announced for Tech 23
18 July 2011
Acting NSW Premier Andrew Stoner today announced the 23 successful local ICT companies that will participate in next month's Tech23 innovation event in Sydney.
Tech23 is a competition that gives 23 of the best young, innovative and fast-growing Australian technology companies the chance to showcase to over 400 potential investors, mentors, entrepreneurs, and customers.
Mr Stoner said the 23 successful applicants had been chosen from more than 150 submissions from Australia's most innovative ICT companies.
"The 23 companies that have been chosen to compete in this year's Tech23, including 13 from NSW, will now have the chance to promote some of the hottest new ICT innovations Australia has to offer," Mr Stoner said.
"The NSW Government is supporting this event to promote technology innovation and the growth and development of smart jobs and businesses in our digital economy.
"We are committed to making NSW the leader in ICT and already established a new ICT Governance framework and ICT Board that will develop the NSW Government ICT strategy.
"Tech23 will bring young companies to the fore, accelerate commercialisation and investment deals, and is another step in our overall strategy to make NSW the leader in ICT.
"The companies chosen to exhibit at Tech23 will be given five minutes to pitch their technologies to expert panels of industry leaders, investors and entrepreneurs followed by discussions on investment opportunities and business models.
"They will network with investors, mentors, customers and advisors and be given space on 'Innovation Island' to further demonstrate their products and services."
Tech23 will be followed by an evening awards celebration which will include the awarding of $150,000 in cash prizes from the NSW Government.
Alex Brooks, Director of Marathon Robotics which won the Innovation Excellence Award last year, said it raised the company's profile and provided a source of external validation when talking to customers. "The prize money was instrumental in establishing a development and testing facility, allowing round-the-clock testing of robots which has allowed us to greatly improve the robustness of our product," Mr Brooks said.
Mike Zimmerman, CEO of Building IQ which won last year's Greatest Potential Award, said Tech 23 was an "incredibly worthwhile" event. "Receiving the award gave us great visibility in the Australian tech community, motivated our staff, and provided some critical funding to develop a new web-based reporting system for our customers," Mr Zimmerman said.
Chris Andrews, CEO of Taggle Systems which won the Outstanding Collaboration for Innovation Award last year, said Tech23 helped the company develop its water management technology; conduct further capital raising (including grants from Commercialisation Australia and the Australian Technology Showcase); and develop its first commercial customer relationships including with Mackay Council and the University of New England.
"Winning the Outstanding Collaboration for Innovation Award at Tech 23 2010 has provided Taggle Systems with a significant boost towards becoming a full commercial business," Mr Andrews said.
Tech23 will be held on 23 August at The Auditorium at Surry Hills.
The 23 companies selected to compete at Tech23 2011
- Agworld Pty Ltd (Western Australia) - Cloud-based, software-as-a-service real-time data management system that utilises in-field technology such as iPads and digital pens to support agricultural farm management, crop planning and information sharing between growers, agronomists, farm consultants and suppliers. www.agworld.com.au
- Bugherd (Victoria) – Billed as the world's simplest and fastest bug reporting tool to help technical and non-technical teams communicate, track and manage issues and bugs simply and efficiently. www.bugherd.com
- Centryc Solutions Pty Ltd (NSW) – "MeTag" is a cohesive marketing and operations management platform to enable venue operators, retailers, brands and marketers to engage with customers in real-time by linking virtually every form of technology including online, offline, mobile, social, point-of-sale (cash registers), ticketing, access control and sophisticated data mining tools.
- Cinergix Pty Ltd (Victoria) –Cinergix's initial product Creately.com is a software-as-a-service that allows teams to work collaboratively on visual projects online using an easy-to-use diagramming tool. www.creately.com
- Effective Measure International (Victoria) – Cutting edge digital audience management, website rankings, internet demographics and media planning tools combining technology, web and marketing analytics to help publishers, agencies and digital marketers. www.effectivemeasure.com
- Early Warning Network (NSW) - EWN operates Australia's only location-based severe weather and incident early warning service that uses the Geographic Notification and Information System (GNIS) to simultaneously broadcast alerts to individuals or groups in selected areas over multiple communication mediums. www.ewn.com.au
- Filter Squad (Western Australia) - Developed the top selling iPad and iPhone app Discovr Music to help find music artists, and later Discovr Apps to help find new apps for the iPad and iPhone. Now working on a iPad Music Magazine that learns music preferences and delivers an interactive tailored magazine to iPads. www.filtersquad.com
- Friendorse (NSW) – A Question and Answer website where people can get answers to complex questions from people with rich local knowledge, including recommendations on local businesses or services. www.friendorse.com
- goCatch (NSW) - Smartphone application that connects taxi drivers directly with passengers in real-time by broadcasting a passenger's location to taxi drivers via a smartphone's GPS. www.gocatchapp.com
- Hyperlocalizer Pty Ltd (NSW) – Cloud-based, content management and publishing system that helps e-commerce, media, directory and other content publishers create networks of offers and content for mobile and fixed platforms. www.hyperlocalizer.com
- iAsset Pty Ltd (NSW) - Software-as-a-service cloud application delivered on a single and easy-to-use platform, iAsset automates all major aspects of the entire sales, marketing and service process including data tracking, learning and product lifecycle management. www.iasset.com
- InterfereX (ACT) - Wireless network planning services company with proprietary software to analyse the performance of small 3G/4G cell deployments in enterprises and residences, saving planning and operational costs for mobile operators while improving performance. www.interferex.com
- Kaggle (Victoria/San Francisco) - Platform for predictive modelling competitions which see companies and researchers post problems and Kaggle's over 12,000 data scientists compete to offer the best solution. Kaggle is hosting the largest ever algorithm prize (the $3 million Heritage Health Prize) and has run projects for NASA, Deloitte and Ford. www.kaggle.com
- MOB (NSW) - buildAR.com is a cloud-based, software-as-a service platform that lets you create and publish your own augmented reality content in real time to an end-user's smartphone or other device. www.mob-labs.com
- Momentum Cloud Technologies (NSW) - technology to reduce, standardise and automate workflow in educational settings to enable schools to meet demands for greater transparency and external accountability. www.momentumcloud.com.au
- Navisens Pty Limited (NSW) - A self-contained, body-worn device which locates personnel where GPS cannot, to improve productivity and safety in hazardous environments and industries such as mining, logistics, first-responders, and defence. www.navisens.com
- Online Media Holdings trading as Roamz (NSW) - Roamz is a location-based mobile application that merges local content, social media and mobile technology to give users real-time information about their local area including content about restaurants, pubs, festivals, events and places.
- Orion Virtualisation Solutions Pty Limited (NSW) - High performance cloud computing provider that has developed an infrastructure as a service platform billed as the fastest cloud computing platform in the globe for real world applications. www.orionvm.com.au
- Specialist Link (Victoria) – Online e-health service to help patients find the right medical practitioner quickly, easily and confidentially from a national database and to support medical practitioners. www.specialistlink.com.au
- StageBitz Pty Ltd (ACT) - Web-based system to provide professional props management for the entertainment industry by managing the full lifecycle of props sourcing, maintenance, and tracking. www.stagebitz.com
- Thereitis.com Pty Ltd (South Australia) – Revolutionary user interface that aims to change the way consumers interact with digital data. It presents large collections of data in the form of images or icons in a three-dimensional array organised around axes of relevance. www.thereitis.com
- vtalk Holdings Pty Ltd (NSW) - Software, design and engineering company currently focusing on building a telephony platform that combines cloud services with embedded local devices. It has built an easy-to-use telephony platform delivered through the "vtalk unit" that connects to a customer's existing telecommunications infrastructure. www.vtalk.com
- ZeroMail (NSW) - Best practice email client integrating a virtual assistant, task management and social media to reduce stress and boost productivity. ZeroMail brings email accounts and social media together and features dedicated views for notifications, newsletters and mailing lists etc. www.zeromail.com