Investment in NSW mineral resources
Mining, resources and energy are an essential part of the New South Wales (NSW) economy, driven by world class and diverse mineral, coal, gas and construction material resources and exploration opportunities.
It is backed by highly developed infrastructure such as ports and rail links, low average operating costs and a sound and stable regulatory regime. It also benefits from the highly skilled workforce and mining services sector in NSW.
World class resources
The quality of world class resources in NSW underpins the state's position as a major global producer and exporter of minerals and energy resources and products.
Collectively, the NSW mining, resources and energy sector contributed significantly to the state's economy, thanks to ongoing demand for raw materials from Asia, especially Japan, Republic of Korea and China.
Coal remains the largest single export product in value terms from NSW, followed by major metal exports from world class deposits include gold, copper, lead, silver, zinc and mineral sands.
Opportunities for investment
There are many investment opportunities in the NSW mining, resources and energy sector — from green field exploration to world class mines.
The NSW Government actively works to attract business to the state through initiatives designed to facilitate growth for individual sectors.
One of the government initiatives that give NSW its key competitive advantages is the quality and accessibility of its geosciences data, made available through the Geological Survey of NSW.
Geological Survey work programs are designed to lower the risk for mineral and energy explorers by providing pre-competitive data and using leading edge modelling technologies.
The New Frontiers Exploration Initiative is the government's commitment to optimising mineral exploration and opportunities for investment in NSW.
New Frontiers provides continuity of funding for the provision of geoscience services and products which are tailored to meet industry needs.
Support for industry
- Exploration title information displayed spatially online through MinView with an online exploration licence application service
- Online downloads of point data, map images and digital data, geophysical data, documents and publications
- Geophysical surveys and interpretation of the results
- Geological mapping, mineral systems analysis and basin studies on regions with mineral and gas resource potential
- Map downloads to mobile devices
- The New Frontiers Cooperative Drilling program – direct government co investment in drilling costs
- Easy viewing and sampling of drill cores at efficiently managed drill core libraries
- Packaging of statewide DIGS® open-file coal and petroleum exploration reports
- Regular reporting of the ongoing results of work programs to industry through its e-newsletter, On The Outcrop, and at conferences
- Access to drillcore libraries store drillcore submitted by mineral, coal and petroleum exploration companies and from government projects. The extensive collection of drill cores is available for inspection and sampling.
Disclaimer: While all reasonable care has been taken in the compilation of information on this website, to the extent permitted by law, the State of New South Wales (including the NSW Department of Industry) exclude all liability for the accuracy or completeness of the information, or for any injury, loss, or damage whatsoever (including without limitation liability for negligence and consequential losses) suffered by any person acting, or purporting to act, in reliance upon anything contained herein. For more information read our full disclaimer.