Arts, culture and creative
A global reputation for artistic excellence
New South Wales's thriving arts, culture and creative sector is the largest in Australia and is expected to be a key driver of the state's economic growth, exports and innovation over the next decade.
Creative businesses choose NSW due to its cluster of inventive filmmakers, artists, designers, writers, musicians, dancers and advertising agencies. The state also has a thriving museum and art gallery culture, which benefits from a strong pipeline of government funding and private patronage.
The creative industries sector consists of two groups:
- Cultural production - activities include music, performing and visual arts, libraries, museums, print and other publishing, and media production and broadcasting.
- Creative services - which deliver creative outputs to a mix of consumer and corporate clients, include internet and digital services, advertising services and design.
Opportunities for investors
Investors can support NSW's many talented artists in their endeavours to export their creative output globally, as well as fund arts projects and festivals across the state.
The NSW Government, through Create NSW, actively partners with the private sector, organising exhibitions and performances of local artists. The Arts and Cultural Development Program (ACDP) also supports the sector by delivering quality arts and cultural experiences, funding projects and programs that create the greatest impact and value.
NSW Department of Industry can assist investors by providing comprehensive information on the state's creative arts sector. We can also organise introductions with relevant arts bodies.
Sydney – one of the world's most creative cities
Sydney has twice been voted the world's top festival and events city by the International Festivals and Events Association. It offers an exciting fusion of leading performance companies, venues and facilities including:
- Sydney Festival
- Chinese New Year Festival
- Vivid Sydney light and music extravaganza
- Sydney Biennale
- Writers' Festival
- Comedy Festival
- Film Festival
Sydney is also home to world-renowned performance companies such as:
- Australian Chamber Orchestra
- Bangarra Dance Theatre
- Opera Australia
- Sydney Dance Company
- Sydney Theatre Company
Regional NSW is rich in arts and cultural diversity
NSW Creative Achievement Awards
The NSW Creative Achievement Awards are a NSW Government initiative to recognise outstanding achievements that raise the global profile of NSW creative industries. There are two award categories:
- NSW Creative Laureate - this prestigious award recognises a candidate that has demonstrated significant leadership and has made a significant contribution to increasing the global profile of NSW creative industries. The award celebrates the very best of the state's creative talent.
- NSW Emerging Creative Talent Award - recognises a candidate considered emerging in their sector that has demonstrated leadership in originality and/or innovation and contributed to raising the global profile of NSW creative industries. This award offers support for future development with a cash prize of $15,000.