Structure and governance
All cemetery and crematoria operators in NSW should function in a consistent, transparent and accountable manner. To achieve this, we provide guidance on statutory obligations, best practice governance, and monitor compliance and community service responsibilities.
For more information, view the Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2013.
CCNSW is led by a statutory board appointed by and responsible to The Hon. Melinda Pavey MP, Minister for Water, Property and Housing.
The board has established two consultative groups to ensure consistent engagement and communication with the interment industry and community — the Industry Consultative Group and the Community and Consumer Consultative Group.
Expressions of interest for Community and Consumer Consultative Group members
A broad cross-section of the public and its representatives is sought to re-convene CCNSW’s Community and Consumer Consultative Group. This group is a high-level committee that will focus on the CCNSW Strategic Plan 2015-20 priority areas of respect, affordability and sustainability, land availability and governance.
Up to 15 members will be appointed in an advisory and volunteer capacity bringing their public expertise to inform CCNSW decision-making. Examples include providing strategic perspectives on community and consumer information; insights for the development of CCNSW’s second Strategic Plan, and interment innovation through members’ knowledge and advice.
Register your interest in becoming a CCNSW Community and Consumer Consultative Group member.
Crown cemetery operators
Crown cemetery operators, appointed and regulated under the Crown Land Management Act 2016 and the Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2013 and accountable to CCNSW, operate many facilities across Sydney. There are five large Crown cemetery operators operating in Greater Metropolitan Sydney:
- Catholic Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust Managed by Catholic Cemeteries Board, Chaired by the Hon Greg Smith SC
- Rookwood General Cemeteries Reserve Land Manager Managed by statutory operator board comprising of the following members: Ms Katherine O’Regan (Chair), Ms Penelope Barletta, Mr Nigel Corne, Mr Ahmad Kamaledine, Mr Albert Olley, Ms Robyn Scott and Mr Richard Seideman
- Rookwood Necropolis Land Manager Managed by: statutory operator board comprising of the following members: Mr David Harley (Chair), Mr Peter O’Meara and Mr George Simpson
- Northern Metropolitan Cemeteries Land Manager Managed by statutory operator board comprising of the following members: Prof John Hewson AO (Chair), Mr John McCarthy AO, Ms Leah Fricke, Mr David Johnson, Ms Kris Hume and Mr Peter Owens
- Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Land Manager Managed by statutory operator board comprising of the following members: Ms Joanne Muller (Chair), Ms Carol Provan, Ms Maria Cosmidis, Ms Jenny Davis and Mr Stephen McDowall
There are many additional operators responsible for the management of cemeteries on Crown land across NSW, including smaller Crown cemetery operators and local government councils, which are listed in the CCNSW Cemeteries and Crematoria Register.