Crown Cemetery operators
Crown cemetery operators, appointed and regulated under the Crown Land Management Act 2016 and the Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2013 and accountable to CCNSW, operate many facilities across Sydney. There are five large Crown cemetery operators operating in Greater Metropolitan Sydney:
- Catholic Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust Managed by Catholic Cemeteries Board, Chaired by the Hon Greg Smith SC.
- Rookwood General Cemeteries Reserve Land Manager Managed by the Deputy Secretary, Crown Lands, Department of Planning, Industry and Environment as delegate of the Minister for Water, Property and Housing.
- Rookwood Necropolis Land Manager Managed by: statutory operator board comprising of the following members: Mr Peter O’Meara and Ms Lee Shearer.
- Northern Metropolitan Cemeteries Land Manager Managed by the Deputy Secretary, Crown Lands, Department of Planning Industry and Environment as delegate of the Minister for Water, Property and Housing.
- Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Land Manager Managed by: statutory operator board comprising the following members: Ms Joanne Muller (Chair), and Ms Maria Cosmidis.
There are many additional operators responsible for the management of cemeteries on Crown land across NSW, including smaller Crown cemetery operators and local government councils, which are listed in the CCNSW Cemeteries and Crematoria Register.
On the 1 July 2018 the Crown Land Management Act 2016 (CLM Act) commenced. The CLM Act and associated Crown Land Regulation 2018, has resulted in a number of changes for Crown cemetery operators.
Further information is provided in the resources below: