Western Sydney Aerospace and Defence Industries Precinct
The NSW Department of Industry is developing the Western Sydney Aerospace and Defence Industries Precinct, a world-class aerospace and defence industries hub, adjacent to the future Western Sydney Airport (WSA).
As an ‘aerotropolis’, the precinct has the potential to transform the Western Sydney economy by bringing together a university anchor, highly-skilled jobs, and industries of the future.
The development of the precinct will capitalise on significant investments by the Commonwealth Government — $5.3 billion over 10 years — created by the once in a generation opportunity of the new airport.
Private investment opportunities
- Property development
- Advisory roles
- Design and construction
Timeline for development
The Commonwealth has committed to commencing earthworks by late 2018 and airport operations by 2026. The development of the precinct will align with this schedule.
Stage of development
- Feasibility assessment
- Concept development
- Attraction of small, medium and large aerospace and defence businesses to NSW
- Links to global supply chains and access to new export partners and markets
- Skill development, education and training that are tailored to meet industry demand
- Establish connections between prime contractors, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and small to medium enterprises (SMEs)
- Provide direct channels for local businesses to bring products to market
- Enable greater competitiveness of NSW aerospace and defence businesses
- Delivery of concept feasibility study
- Development of detailed business case
- Delivery of precinct master plan
- Delivery of Aerospace Industry Development Strategy to support the precinct