Creative Industries Knowledge Hub
Creative industries include advertising services, design, creative software development, music, performing and visual arts, print publishing, media production and broadcasting.
Creative industry sector statistics
- Creative Industries have contributed $47.4 billion to the national GDP in 2016–17
- 39% of Australia’s creative businesses choose NSW as their base
- Exports from NSW based creatives are worth $3 billion and make up 70% of Australia’s total creative exports
- NSW is home to almost half of Australia's’ creative workforce.
Source: Based on estimates by consulting firm BYP Group 2017
About the Creative Industries Knowledge Hub
The Creative Industries Knowledge Hub works on projects to support the diverse community of professionals and businesses that make up NSW’s creative industries. The hub is coordinated by the University of Technology Sydney.
The hub aims to enable businesses within the sector to share knowledge, innovate and gain advantage in an increasingly competitive global marketplace.
Resources and projects
The Creative Industries Knowledge Hub devised an action plan, outlining priority actions for the NSW Government. The hub was instrumental in successfully implementing a number of projects, including:
- Creative industries trade mission to China
- nurturing Aboriginal Talent
- Small Biz Connect diagnostic system
- creative career information series: ‘I Want In’
- digitising collections of the state’s cultural institutions.
Other projects completed by the hub include:
- A video showcase of creative industry leaders including Tim Chappel, Academy, BAFTA and Tony Award Winning Costume Designer and Edwina McCaan Editor in Chief Vogue Australia and Chair of Australian Fashion Chamber
- The quarterly Designers & Fleas Emerging Designer Market providing emerging designers with the opportunity to show their works and ‘hustle with heart’
- Established Start-up Week Sydney, now branded as Spark Festival, Australia’s largest gathering of innovators, entrepreneurs and start-ups. In 2017 the festival included over 100 events with over 9,000 attendees.
Case study: Kindred
The Creative Industries Knowledge Hub was instrumental in facilitating an online knowledge sharing platform, Kindred.
Kindred connects and engages creative industry professionals across the state and equips them with business sense and entrepreneurial skills.
The platform includes The Tonic podcast and vidcasts, fact sheets, resources and articles from industry experts.