The NSW Government established StudyNSW to increase the number of international students studying in NSW or with our education providers overseas, improve the quality of their experience while in the State and recognise their contributions to our communities.
StudyNSW is a dedicated unit within the Department of Premier & Cabinet responsible for delivering the 10-year international education strategy outlined in the Industry Action Plan and positioning NSW in key markets as a leader in international education that launches global careers. StudyNSW has four main functions:
- marketing, promotion and research;
- development of policy and advocacy to enhance the competiveness of international education in NSW;
- delivery and evaluation of strategies and programs to improve the experiences of international students in NSW, and
- identification and generation of international market development opportunities and new technology-enabled models of delivery.
StudyNSW delivers core initiatives including policy, advocacy and activities to enhance the quality of the international student experience in NSW that are fully funded by Government. StudyNSW also invites co-funded partner activities from industry that align with Industry Action Plan recommendations.
StudyNSW International Education Strategy
StudyNSW has developed an International Education Strategy which outlines the value of international education to NSW. The document highlights strategies and projects being delivered by the NSW Government through StudyNSW to enhance the experience of international students studying in Sydney and NSW and to grow the sector sustainably.
Subscribe to the StudyNSW newsletter for monthly updates on our projects and initiatives.
StudyNSW website now live!
The new StudyNSW website went live on 24 August 2015.
The website supports a priority action of the International Education and Research Industry Action Plan and aims to increase NSW international student enrolments and export revenue by improving the 'in-country' experiences of current NSW international students.
The website has been developed to specifically support current international students to enhance their experience whilst studying, living and working in NSW and leverage their role as influencers of prospective international students.
Our goal is to help international students enhance their study experience through:
- building confidence in NSW as a safe and friendly location to live and study;
- improving awareness of the education opportunities, industry placement and employment pathways in NSW, and
- increasing awareness of social and community activities.
User testing was undertaken with international students in early August 2015 to test the usability and functionality of the new website and identify possible changes to ensure that students have a great online experience and find the information they need.
StudyNSW also plans to survey international students and international education stakeholders following the go-live to provide feedback on the new website and inform future enhancements and new content.
Visit the new website.
StudyNSW Partner Projects
The Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events, Stuart Ayres, has announced seven projects with a total value of up to $1,650,679 have been awarded co-funding of $317,900 from the NSW Government through a competitive assessment process run by StudyNSW as part of it's 2015/16 Partner Projects initiative.
The seven projects will tackle problems such as lack of suitable and affordable accommodation, and access to free legal advice for international students, and will also deliver an employability forum and work experience opportunities to enhance the reputation of NSW as a study destination.
Download the Media Release to read about the successful projects.
Every year StudyNSW co-funds projects that are delivered in partnership with industry. StudyNSW has agreed to support partner projects that are strategic, innovative, demonstrate a strong benefit to the international education sector and focus on gaps not currently addressed by the sector.
Contact StudyNSW at email@example.com for questions regarding Partner Projects.
NSW International Student Airport Welcome Desk
StudyNSW, in partnership with NSW education institutions and key sector stakeholders launched a welcome desk at Sydney International Airport for international students on 18 July 2015.
The key features of this service are to greet and provide orientation information to the tens of thousands of international students who pass through the airport each year.
2015 NSW International Student Awards
The winners of the 2015 NSW International Student Awards were announced on 13 October 2015 at the Sydney Opera House. The event is organised by StudyNSW, a unit within the Department of Premier and Cabinet. The NSW International Student Awards celebrate outstanding contributions made by international students to communities in NSW, and acknowledge the organisations that support international students with community programs and initiatives.
Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events Stuart Ayres officiated at the awards ceremony and congratulated the winners of four International Student of the Year awards:
- Higher Education - Dunya Alruhami (Iraq)
- Vocational Education and Training (VET) - Zaki Haidari (Afghanistan)
- English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) - Ting Ting Chen (China)
- Schools - Mingjun Zhang (China)
Mr Ayres also congratulated the winners of two International Student Community Engagement awards:
- Business/Community Group Engagement – NSW Police Force
- Education Provider – University of Newcastle in conjunction with the Jesmond Park Uniting Church
For the full list of winners visit www.nsw.gov.au/internationalstudentawards
Download the Media Release
The finalists' initiatives included generating social opportunities for isolated immigrants, acting as interpreters, mentoring new students, fundraising for a range of charities and training new swimmers in water and surf safety.
A highlights video from the awards ceremony will be available to watch soon at: http://www.study.sydney/news-and-stories/news/winners-announced
NSW International Student Charter
The NSW International Student Charter is the whole of NSW international education sector's commitment to delivering the best possible international student experience in NSW. It communicates what current and prospective students can expect about the quality of education and support they will receive when studying in NSW and their obligations in return.
The Charter is a statement of intent (rather than a legal document). The Charter was drafted in consultation with 11 NSW Universities, Australian Council for Private Education and Training (ACPET) members, English Australia (EA) members, the Department of Education & Communities – International (DECI) and the Council for International Students Australia (CISA).
- NSW International Student Charter A4 [PDF File – 1.27 MB]
- NSW International Student Charter A5 print version [PDF File – 1.21 MB]
- Funds available for international education projects [PDF File - 88kb]
- Application form and Guidelines for the Submission of 2015-16 Partner Projects [Word Document 241 KB]
- Appointment of inaugural StudyNSW Advisory Board [PDF File - 53.2 KB]
- NSW Government response to the Industry Action Plans [PDF File - 4.8 MB]
- Media Release - Warning issued to international students [PDF File - 119.8 KB]
- Media Release - Funding boost for international students [PDF File - 37.4 KB]