Land and Water Commissioner
The Land and Water Commissioner provides independent advice to landholders, resource companies, the community and government on mining and coal seam gas activities in the state.
The Commissioner listens to community issues, facilitating greater consultation between government, community and industry.
The Commissioner is a key source of information and guidance to assist landholders and communities to better understand the way that mining and gas activities are approved and regulated in NSW, and to give them a say in how things are done.
The Commissioner is responsible for overseeing the finalisation of standardised land access agreements which are being developed in conjunction with key agricultural sector and mineral/petroleum industry representatives.
The Commissioner has access to the resources of all NSW Government agencies, including the NSW Chief Scientist and Engineer, as well as other relevant bodies to seek advice on matters raised with the Commissioner.
The Commissioner reports directly to the Secretary, NSW Department of Industry.
The Commissioner provides advice on:
- Exploration activities and mineral, petroleum and coal seam gas development throughout the state
- Strategic Regional Land Use Policy
- Regulatory approval and assessment processes
- Compliance and enforcement matters
- Landowner rights, access agreements and compensation
- Rights and responsibilities of exploration companies
The Commissioner supports Government by:
- Responding to concerns raised in relation to current / future exploration and development activities across the state
- Generating independent advice on the impacts of current policy settings
Read more about
- coal seam gas and the NSW Gas Plan
- Strategic Regional Land Use
- Water monitoring framework
- NSW Groundwater Baseline Monitoring project
NSW Land and Water Commissioner
Jock Laurie was appointed as the NSW Land and Water Commissioner in December 2012. As the Commissioner, he provides advice and facilitates greater consultation between government, community and industry on exploration activities in the state.
Get in touch
If you have any concerns in relation to mining and exploration activities in NSW get in touch with the Land and Water Commissioner.
You can contact the Commissioner by:
Phone: +61 2 6391 3429
Post: Locked Bag 21 Orange NSW 2800