Financial Services Knowledge Hub
"Knowledge is no longer power in and of itself. It's actually how you use knowledge and work together to derive the benefits."
James Mabbott, Head of Innovation Services, KPMG Australia
The Financial Services Knowledge Hub aims to improve the attractiveness of the NSW business environment, encourage innovation in the NSW financial services sector and increase the competitiveness of industry based projects. It is coordinated by the Committee for Sydney and was launched on 3 March 2015.
Achievements of the Knowledge Hub so far include the publication of a report titled Unlocking the potential: The Fintech opportunity for Sydney which investigates the emerging financial services technology sector and its relevance for Sydney. The Knowledge Hub has supported the realisation of a key recommendation from that report, the establishment of Stone & Chalk, a not-for-profit fintech hub in Sydney that will foster and accelerate the development of startups by co-locating venture capital, technology startups and established financial services firms.
2016 will continue to be an exciting year for the Knowledge Hub, with core projects including:
- Fintern Fever - a summer startup internship program created to give university students the opportunity to work with local startups in the fintech space
- A series of events to communicate the impact of disruption and the value of the startup ecosystem
- Research investigating the regulatory impediments faced by fintech startups in Australia
- A series of workshops to connect startups and regulators, and startups and established corporates
- Developing collateral and presentations promoting Sydney as Australia's financial services hub to international investors and delegations
If you are interested in learning more or getting involved, visit the Committee for Sydney's Financial Services Knowledge Hub webpage or contact:
Johanna Pitman, The Committee for Sydney
To find out more information about Knowledge Hubs, their goals and benefits or about other Hubs visit the Knowledge Hubs page.
- Sydney in box seat for Chinese investment and jobs growth (5 November 2015)
- Building the start-up ecosystem in NSW: from grants to collaboration (September 2015)
- Bringing benefits to all: How Sydney's financial services sector leads the Australian economy (June 2015)
- New Knowledge Hub to strengthen Sydney's position as a global financial centre (3 March 2015)
- Financial and professional services in NSW
- NSW Government to fund Renminbi research (27 November 2014)
- Unlocking the potential: The Fintech opportunity for Sydney - Summary
- Unlocking the potental: The Fintech opportunity for Sydney - Full version